Unpaid Wages and Overtime Attorney: NYC, NY, & NJ

A remarkable number of employers are not compliant with federal and state wage and hour laws.  In fact, according to a recent study, unlawful unpaid wages accounted for nearly $1 billion in losses to U.S. employees in 2012.With offices in New York City and New Jersey, we help employees throughout the greater NY and NJ area on the issues of unpaid wages and overtime. 

Our firm’s employment attorneys have a strong focus on unpaid wages and overtime. Not surprisingly, these hard-working lawyers have recovered millions in unpaid wages and overtime for our employee clients.  Our employment attorneys will listen to your particular needs when it comes to collecting unpaid minimum wages, commissions, bonus payments, and other earned but unpaid wages from employers.  Often, our attorneys are capable of collecting unpaid wages through a confidential demand letter negotiation for those clients interested in confidentiality.  For those who prefer a more aggressive approach, we routinely file lawsuits under the New York Labor Law and the Fair Labor Standards Act for not only all unpaid wages, but also for penalties up to 100% of the underpayment (or double damages), interest, and attorneys’ fees.

Unpaid Wages, Unlawful Deductions, and Pooled Tips

It is illegal for your employer to force you to work “off the clock” or falsely report your hours. You may have a claim for back payment of all wages rightfully earned if your employer:

  • Requires you to report early to work, clock out for certain activities, or stay past the end of your shift;
  • Demands your presence on work premises without being paid for your time;
  • Takes deductions from your pay for reasons other than taxes or benefits;
  • Fails to reimburse you for business expenses; or
  • Fails to pay you proper commissions.

Likewise, in the restaurant and hospitality industry, it is illegal for managers to pool your tips with non-serving employees.  Although many businesses do this, it is considered theft and a violation of the law. You may have a claim for back payment of all tips rightfully earned if your employer:

  • Pools bartender tips with kitchen staff, hosts, or managers; or
  • Pools table server tips with kitchen staff, hosts, or managers

Unpaid Overtime: Consulting an Attorney

State and local law require that employees receive paid time-and-a-half pay for any hour worked over 40 per week.  Even if you are a salaried worker, you may be entitled to overtime regardless of what your employer says about whether or not you are eligible for overtime pay.

Employees in the retail, restaurant, and sales industries are overrepresented among our litigation plaintiffs in unpaid overtime wage lawsuits.  However, the unlawful nonpayment of overtime can take many forms, and no industry is immune from the influence of abusive employers.  And cutting corners on overtime pay can take many forms: misclassifying workers as “exempt” — or ineligible for overtime — when in fact they are eligible, assigning nonmanagement employees management titles, forcing employees to work through their lunch break or after the end of their shift, paying hourly employees “straight time” — their regular hourly wage — instead of time-and-a-half, to avoid making overtime payments.

Questions and Answers on Unpaid Wages & Overtime

Q. What can I do if my wages are not paid?

A. If you have unpaid wages, one way you can try to recover them is by filing a claim with the New York Department of Labor . In order to file a claim, you need to head to their website and fill out a form to claim unpaid wages.  You can also file a claim under federal law with the Wage and Hour Division of the United States Department of Labor.

Q. How do I sue for wages owed?

A. The first step in filing a lawsuit is contacting an attorney that specializes in unpaid wages and overtime. Once you review the details of your case with an expert attorney, they will be able to advise you on the best steps to take in order to file your discrimination lawsuit. 

Q. Can I sue my employer for not paying me correctly?

A. Yes! There are state and federal laws protecting you from not being paid correctly by your employer. For example, the federal Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) establishes a minimum wage and a right to overtime pay. If you believe you are not being paid correctly, you might be entitled to recover against your employer for FLSA violations or similar violations under New York Labor Law. You should start by contacting an attorney that specializes in unpaid compensation and employment law. 

Q. How do I write a demand letter for unpaid wages?

A. If you would prefer to write a demand letter yourself instead of hiring an attorney, there are several steps you can take. First, you might consider contacting your local state and/or federal labor office to confirm your legal claims. Then, you should write your demand letter. Make sure to clearly state your claims and the facts of the situation. You should use concise, neutral language and clearly state the amount you believe you are owed. You can then send the demand letter. While you can do this on your own, we strongly encourage hiring an attorney to write a demand letter on your behalf. 

Q. Is being forced to work unpaid overtime legal?

A. Yes! Under the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) and New York Labor Law, overtime hours are hours worked over forty in a week. For all hours worked over forty, you should receive one and one half times your regular rate of pay. Some employees, such as salaried employees, are exempt from overtime laws, meaning they are not entitled to overtime.  To determine if you are exempt, you should contact an attorney who specializes in employment law.

Q. Can I refuse to work overtime if my employer asks me?

A. Generally, your employer can terminate you if you refuse to work overtime. Unless your employment contract contains limitations on the number of overtime hours you have to work, then your employer can most likely fire you for refusing to work overtime. Employers can also make working overtime a condition of your employment when you are hired.  

Lawyers who Fight for Unpaid Wages & Unpaid Overtime

If your employer failed to pay you and/or your colleagues, our employment lawyers may be able to recover up to six years’ worth of your overtime pay.  All it takes is one person to step forward, and we can sue on behalf of one or many (class action).  Courts often award double damages for these cases when employers act willfully or in bad faith.

We take unpaid wages, unlawful deduction, falsely pooled tips, and unpaid overtime cases on a contingency basis, so you only pay legal fees if we win — learn more.  If you think you are the victim of unpaid wages or unpaid overtime, contact us today for a free case consultation to discuss your needs in detail by calling (646) 430-7930.

With offices in New York City and New Jersey, we help employees throughout the greater NY and NJ area on the issues of unpaid wages and overtime.



See our Fee Arrangements page.